Perfect as a starter or for lunch.
- 0.25 cup finely chopped green onions
- 1 tsp grated lemon rind
- 1 tblsp fresh lemon juice
- 0.25 tsp salt
- 0.25 tsp chopped fresh coriander (or ground coriander if you can't get it fresh)
- 0.25 tsp ground cumin
- 0.25 tsp paprika
- 3 tblsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa
- 1.75 cup water
- 0.5 tsp salt
- 1 cup roasted pine nuts (walnuts also work really well in this dish)
- 2 medium beets, cooked and cut into wedges
- some crumbled goats cheese (to taste)
- To prepare the dressing, combine all of the ingredients in a medium bowl, stirring with a whisk. Gradually add the oil, stirring constantly with a whisk. Set aside.
- To prepare the salad, place the quinoa in a fine sieve, and place the sieve in a large bowl. Cover the quinoa with water. Using your hands, rub the grains together for 30 seconds, rinse and drain. Repeat the procedure twice. Drain well.
- Combine 1 3/4 cups water, quinoa, and 1/4 tsp salt in a medium saucepan and bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer for 10 minutes or until the liquid is absorbed. Remove from heat; fluff with a fork. Combine the quinoa, remaining 1/4 tsp salt, roasted pine nuts, beetroot and crumbled goats cheese in a large bowl, tossing gently to combine. Add the dressing; toss gently to coat salad.