These sweet potato cakes with feta are perfect with an avocado dip or tomato sauce, and work as a snack or as a bigger meal.
- 1 large sweet potato
- 2 eggs
- 50 ml buttermilk
- 4 tblsp baby rice
- 2 spring onions, finely chopped
- 50 g feta cheese, crumbled
- a little olive oil
- 1 ripe avocado
- 25 g plain yoghurt
- 1 squeeze of lemon juice
- Place the eggs in a bowl with the buttermilk and whisk to combine, then whisk in the baby rice.
- Add the grated sweet potato, spring onions and feta cheese. Mix until well combined.
- Add a drizzle of olive oil to a large, non-stick frying pan and place over a low heat. Working in batches, place spoonfuls of the sweet potato mixture onto the pan and gently flatten down each one with the back of a spatula.
- Fry the sweet potato cakes for 1–2 minutes on each side, until golden brown.
- To make the avocado dip, cut the avocado in half and scoop the flesh into a mini blender. Add the yoghurt and lemon juice and blend to a purée.
- Arrange the sweet potato cakes on plates and add some avocado dip to serve.
"It’s fine to extend the selection of cheeses you are giving your child as they reach their first birthday. These sweet potato cakes would be delicious served with a simple tomato sauce. Once cooked, they freeze well." - Neven Maguire