This quiche uses a soft curd goat’s cheese, which is wonderfully smooth and light with clean lemony flavours with hints of flowers and sweetness that develop when pared with the caramelised red onions.
This quiche uses a soft curd goat's cheese, which is wonderfully smooth and light with clean lemony flavours with hints of flowers and sweetness that develop when pared with the caramelised red onions.
For the pastry:
- 225 g Plain flour, plus extra for dusting
- Pinch of salt
- 125 g Cold butter, cut into pieces
For the filling:
- 2 tblsp Olive oil
- 4 Large red onions, halved and sliced into half moons
- 3 Large eggs
- 300 ml Double cream
- 150 g Soft curd goat's cheese
- 1/2 tsp fresh thyme leaves
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Green salad, to serve
- To make the filling, heat the olive oil in a large frying pan, add the red onions and fry over a low-medium heat for 10-15 minutes until soft and caramelised.
- Season with salt and black pepper, then remove from the heat and allow to cool. This can be done ahead of time.
- To make the pastry, place the flour and salt in a large bowl. Add the butter and, using your fingertips, rub the butter into the flour until the mixture resembles rough breadcrumbs.
- Sprinkle over 1–2 tablespoons of water and bring the dough together to form a ball.
- Wrap the dough in cling film and place in the fridge to rest for at least 10 minutes or overnight is fine.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C and place a baking tray on the middle shelf.
- Roll out the pastry on a lightly floured work surface and use to line a 23cm quiche or tart tin with a removable base.
- Prick the base with a fork and place on the baking tray in the oven for about 15 minutes until lightly golden.
- In a bowl, whisk the eggs and cream together until combined.
- Arrange the caramelised onions on the base of the cooked pastry case, scatter over teaspoonfuls of the soft curd goats cheese and the thyme leaves, then season with salt and black pepper.
- Gently pour the egg and cream mixture into the pastry case and bake in the oven for 30–35 minutes until the filling is set and golden on top.
- Allow to cool, then serve hot or cold slices on serving plates with a green salad.