Try this amazing recipe for Thai Green Papaya Salad.
- 300 g green papaya, grated
- 4 garlic cloves
- 3 bird's eye chillies
- 1 dsp unsalted, roasted peanuts
- 6 cherry tomatoes, halved
- 80 g string beans, cut 4cm
- 2 dsp fish sauce
- 1 dsp or 20g palm sugar
- 2 dsp lime juice
- 50 g carrots, grated
- 20 g dried shrimps
- 2 dsp unsalted, roasted peanuts, crushed, to garnish
- 5 g dried shrimp to garnish
- Peel the papaya and rinse under running water. Halve, remove the seeds and grate it roughly. Soak in cold water for 5 minutes – this makes it very crunchy and delicious.
- Using a big pestle and mortar, pound the garlic cloves, bird's eye chillies and roasted peanuts to a rough purée.
- Then add the cherry tomatoes and string beans and pound again but don't pound the beans and tomatoes too finely.
- Season with fish sauce, palm sugar and lime juice.
- Now mix together with the papaya, carrots and dried shrimp and continue pounding until well mixed but still rough.
- You can modify the spiciness by increasing or decreasing the amount of bird's eye chillies or by de-seeding the chillies.
- Garnish with a little dried shrimp and roasted peanuts and serve at room temperature.