A great twist on the delicious cheesecake, from Pat Flavin's appearance on Today.
For the Rhubarb Compote:
- 3-4 sticks (400g) rhubarb, cut into 1cm chunks
- 200g sugar
- ¼ split vanilla pod, or 4 drops of vanilla essence
- 100ml Grenadine
- 100ml water
For the Cheesecake:
- 750g light cream cheese
- 150ml low fat yoghurt
- 20g gelatine leaves (approximately 12 leaves)
- Syrup from Compote
For the Biscuit Base:
- 250g ginger nut biscuit
- 100g melted unsalted butter
- Melt the butter, mix with crushed biscuit, place at the bottom of cake tin or individual glasses to cool and set.
- In a thick-bottomed pan, combine rhubarb, sugar, split vanilla pod, water and grenadine.
- Simmer over low heat for 8-10 minutes or until rhubarb has softened slightly, leave a little bite to the rhubarb.
- Strain off the syrup from the compote.
- Soak the gelatine leaves in a little cold water until soft, remove and add to strained syrup.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk the low fat yoghurt and cream cheese.
- Slowly add the syrup to the cheese mix.
- Pour cheese mixture on top of cooled biscuit base.
- Allow to set in fridge for 2 hours.
- Portion and serve with generous dollop of Rhubarb Compote.
This recipe is courtesy of Pat Flavin.