This is an extremely easy dish to master and perfect to serve on a special occasion if you want to get ahead, as the fish can be prepped and set aside in the fridge until it's ready to go into the oven.
- 50 g plain flour
- 4 x 175g firm fish fillets, such as salmon, hake, cod orhaddock, skinned and boned
- 2 tblsp creamed horseradish (from a jar)
- 1 egg yolk
- 100 g coarse breadcrumbs
- 1 tblsp chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
Lemon Cream Sauce:
- 225 ml cream
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- 1 tsp prepared english mustard
- 1 tsp creamed horseradish (from a jar)
- finely grated rind and juice of ½ lemon
- 1 tblsp snipped fresh chives
- 75 g butter
- 450 g spinach, tough stalks removed
- pinch of sugar
- sea salt and freshly ground
- black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 200°C (400°F/gas mark 6). Line a sturdy baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Season the flour in a shallow bowl and use to lightly dust the fish fillets. To make the crust, mix together the horseradish and egg yolk, then spread on top of each fish fillet, making sure each one is well coated right to the edges. Mix together the breadcrumbs and parsley and then press them on each coated piece of fish. Shape the crust by pressing on this mixture gently but firmly with your hands. Arrange the crusted fish fillets on the lined baking sheet.
- Place in the oven for 15–20 minutes, until the fish fillets are just cooked through and tender and the crusts are nice and crisp.
- Meanwhile, make the lemon cream sauce. Place the cream in a small pan and bring to the boil, then reduce the heat and allow to simmer for 12 minutes, until well reduced and thickened. Remove from the heat and whisk in the mustards, horseradish, the lemon rind and juice and season to taste. Stir in the chives and keep warm over a low heat.
- To prepare the wilted spinach, heat a large pan over a medium heat and add the butter. Once it has stopped foaming, quickly sauté the spinach with a pinch of sugar until soft and wilted. Season to taste and drain well on kitchen paper to remove the excess moisture.
- To serve, divide the spinach among warmed plates. Place a piece of fish on top and drizzle around the lemon cream sauce.