- 200g pre-packed cooked chestnuts (sliced)
- 500ml chicken stock
- 200ml cream
- 2 large shallots
- 3 sprigs of thyme
- 50ml Madeira
- 25g butter
- 4 free range eggs
- 20ml white wine vinegar
- In a large pot, add the butter, sliced shallots and thyme and cook on a high heat for 1-2 minutes.
- Add the Madeira and reduce until a glaze.
- Then add the sliced cooked chestnuts, stock and cream. Bring to the boil, blend until smooth and season with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- To poach the eggs, stir a large deep pot of boiling water with addition of white wine vinegar.
- Add the eggs one by one to the centre of the pot and poach for approximately 2.5 minutes.
- To serve place one egg into the centre of each bowl and cover with the hot chestnut soup.