A deep dark chocolate cake is the perfect dessert to finish any special dinner with. This one is unique in that it doesn't require flour to bind it and instead relies on ground almonds, which makes it gluten free but also results in a rich and moist finish. With a glossy chocolate glaze and a topping of toasted hazelnuts this cake will be a true showstopper no matter what the occasion!
- 225g dark chocolate (70% cocoa solids), finely chopped
- 125g butter, diced
- 175g caster sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 100g ground almonds
- 6 large eggs, separated
- For the Chocolate Glaze
- 100g dark chocolate?(70% cocoa solids), finely chopped
- 30g butter
- 50g icing sugar, sifted
- 75ml Cuinneog buttermilk
- 75g hazelnuts, toasted and roughly chopped
- Fresh strawberries decorated with wild pea flowers, to serve
- Preheat the oven to 180°C and line a 20cm diameter springform tin with baking parchment.
- To make the mud pie, melt the chocolate and butter in a large heatproof bowl sitting over a pan of barely simmering water.
- Remove the bowl from the heat and mix in the sugar, vanilla extract and ground almonds with a spatula. Stir through the egg yolks, one at a time, mixing after each addition, until you have a thick batter.
- Put the egg whites in a standing food mixer (or use an electric hand-held mixer in a bowl) and whisk the egg whites until stiff peaks form. Add the egg whites to the chocolate batter and fold through gently until just combined.
- Pour the chocolate batter into the prepared cake tin and place in the oven to bake for about 35 minutes until it is firm but with a slight wobble. Remove the cake from the oven and allow it to sit on a wire rack to cool in its tin. Before removing the tin to cool completely.
- Meanwhile, make the glaze. Melt the chocolate and butter in a bowl sat over a pan of just simmering water. When melted, remove from the heat, whisk in the icing sugar and buttermilk, a little bit at a time.? Allow to cool until the mixture becomes thick enough to leave a figure of eight on the surface.
- Pour over the cooled dark chocolate mud pie and then sprinkle with hazelnuts and strawberries.