It's very easy to make your own.
- 1 egg, at room temperature
- 2 tsp white wine vinegar
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- Pinch of caster sugar
- 100ml (3½fl oz) olive oil
- 100ml (3½fl oz) rapeseed oil
- Sea salt and freshly ground white pepper
- Break the egg into a food processor and add half teaspoon salt and the vinegar, mustard, sugar and half of the olive oil. Secure the lid and whizz for 10 seconds.
- Leave to stand for a couple of seconds, then turn on again and pour the remaining olive oil and rapeseed oil through the feeder tube in a thin, steady stream. This should take 25-30 seconds.
- Switch off the machine, take off the lid, scrape down the sides and whizz again for 2-3 seconds, then season to taste. Transfer to a squeezy bottle and chill until needed. Use as required.
Truffle Mayonnaise: Add ½ teaspoon black or white truffle paste into the food processor.
Aioli: Add 2 chopped garlic cloves with the egg into the food processor.
Lemon Mayonnaise: Add the juice and rind of 1 small lemon and 2 tablespoons snipped fresh chives.
Curried Mayonnaise: Beat in 2 teaspoons mild curry paste with a good squeeze of lemon juice. Season to taste, then cover with clingfilm and chill until needed.
This mayonnaise or any of the variations keep very well in the fridge for up to 1 week in the squeezy bottle.