Great with so many dishes.
- 1 tblsp olive oil
- Large knob of butter
- 2 celery sticks, thinly sliced
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 100ml (3½fl oz) port
- 100ml (3½fl oz) dry white wine
- 100ml (3½fl oz) beef stock
- 100ml (3½fl oz) cream
- 100g (4oz) blue cheese (such as Cashel Blue), rind removed and crumbled
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Heat a pan over a medium heat and add the oil and butter. Once the butter is melted and foaming, add the celery and onion. Cook for 2-3 minutes, until the onion has softened and the celery is tender, tossing the pan occasionally.
- Pour in the port and wine, then flambé it off a little by tipping the edge of the pan over the flames very carefully.
- When the alcohol burns off, stir in the stock and slowly add the cream, then tip in the cheese. Simmer for about 20 minutes, until reduced, thickened and darkened in colour.
- Season to taste and use as required.
- This will keep covered in the fridge for 3-4 days.