Trying to keep a healthy diet is hard, especially if the canteen at work or college tempts you with its smell of greasy chips or fried chicken. (don’t get me started on the chocolate and crisps at the counter!) In this situation, you have to be strong! Its super hard though, I totally understand. So how do we shatter these temptations and ward off those cheeky chips cravings? Simple, fast and healthy food that is whipped up in no time at home and is chok-a-blok full of taste, that’s how! Here is one of my favourite packed lunches, a Buckwheat noodle based cold dish. It is super healthy and delicious. It will make your colleagues a little envious!
- 100 g buckwheat soba noodles
- 3 tofu puffs (or a wee bit of poached chicken if you prefer)
- 1 spring onion (sliced)
- 1/4 cup shredded carrot
- 1/4 cup sliced mixed peppers
- 1/2 cup torn coriander
- 1 edible flower of choice (i use edible primroses)
- 2 tblsp crushed roasted peanuts
- sprinkle sesame seeds (white or black)
- 1 wedge of lime
- 1 tsp chopped red chilli
- 1 tblsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp sriracha sauce
- 1 tsp sweet chilli sauce
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1/2 tsp rice vinegar
- Cook noodles to pack instructions, drain and cool.
- Mix all dressing ingredients together and simply combine all other ingredients in a large bowl.
- Transfer to a lunch box,pop in lime wedge to squeeze before serving, and voila, lunch in a jiffy!
- You can use cooked shredded Chicken instead of Tofu if you wish.
- Note: This lunch offers a great balance of protein, carbohydrate and veggies, along with a spicy kick and some mouth tingling exotic herbs and sauces. I find any time I eat this at lunch, I am packed with energy and a general good feeling after. Try having a little fresh Mango in yoghurt after for a soothing and healthy sweet fix.
Tip: Toss the Soba Noodles in a little Sesame oil when cooling to stop them sticking together if you make them in advance. Cooked Chicken, Cooked Beef or Pork shredded can be added to this recipe. Or why not try some juicy Prawns?