If your mum has a sweet tooth but can only eat gluten-free, then our Lemon and Poppyseed Loaf is the perfect cake for her – she won’t be able to resist a slice!
- 175 g (6oz) baking or dairy free margarine
- 175 g (6oz) caster sugar
- 3 large eggs, beaten
- 150 g (5oz) gluten and wheat free plain white flour blend
- 2 sachets Dr. Oetker baking powder (gluten free)
- 100 g (3 1/2oz) ground almonds
- 1 tblsp poppy seeds
- 7.5 ml (1 ½ tsp) Dr. Oetker natural lemon extract
- Dr. Oetker cake release spray
- To decorate:
- 150 g (5oz) icing sugar
- 5 ml (1tsp) Dr. Oetker natural lemon extract
- 20 ml (4 tsp) warm water
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (160°C fan assisted oven, 350°F, gas mark 4). Spray a 900g (2lb) loaf tin with Cake Release Spray to grease. Place the margarine and sugar into a bowl and beat together until pale and fluffy. Gradually beat in the eggs.
- Sift in the flour and Baking Powder and add the ground almonds, poppy seeds and Natural Lemon Extract. Gently mix all of the ingredients together until well combined.
- Spoon the mixture into the prepared tin and smooth the top. Bake in the oven for 50-55 minutes until risen, firm to the touch and a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Turn on to a wire rack to cool completely.
- To decorate, sieve the icing sugar into a bowl. Add the Natural Lemon Extract and mix in approx. 20ml (4 tsp) of warm water to make a smooth, soft icing. Spread over the top of the cake, allowing the icing to drizzle down the sides. Leave to set for a few minutes before slicing to serve.
This recipe is courtesy of Dr. Oetker