This cake is delicious, gluten free and keeps very well for a few days.
The recipe can be doubled to make two cakes then sandwiched together with fresh cream and berries to make a celebration cake or just cut in squares and enjoyed as brownies.
- 200 g dark chocolate
- 200 g butter
- 200 g sugar
- 200 g ground hazelnuts
- 6 eggs separated
- Melt the butter and chocolate. Leave to cool slightly.
- I use a microwave to do this but you can use a bowl over boiling water to if you don't have a microwave or don't trust them.
- Whisk the sugar and egg yolks together until light and fluffy.
- Whisk the egg whites until stiff.
- Add the melted butter and chocolate to the egg yolks and sugar. Mix well. Then add the hazelnuts.
- Lastly add the egg whites to do this, get a metal spoon and add one big spoon of egg whites to the mixture and mix around until fully incorporated. This will loosen the mixture and make it easy to add the rest of egg white without knocking out all the air in the whisked eggs whites. Fold in the rest of the egg whites gradually and slowly.
- Finally add the mixture to the greased and lined cake tin.
- Cook until firm but not too dark. (about 30 minutes, but keep a close eye and check regularly)
- Leave the cake to cool before cutting
- These brownies are extra special with nutella spread on top.
Make sure the tin is greased and lined with baking paper.