Struggling to come up with an original idea for your Valentine? Melt the heart of your loved one with delicious Shortbread Hearts.
- 250 g plain flour
- 200 g butter or margarine
- 100 g siúcra icing sugar
- 1 g vanilla extract
- 1 egg yolk
- red food colouring or 5-10g cocoa powder
- heart-shaped cookie cutters in two different sizes
- Work the ingredients together to make a dough. Colour a third of the dough pink with food colouring, or brown with cocoa powder. Refrigerate the two types of dough for at least half an hour.
- First, roll out the white dough and make heart shapes with a cookie cutter. Place on a baking sheet lined with baking parchment.
- Roll out the coloured dough and use the smaller cutter to make slightly smaller hearts.
- Place the smaller, coloured hearts in the centre of the white hearts. Bake at 175°C for about 10 minutes.
This recipe is courtesy of Siúcra.