A treasure from my Christmas Special visit to Austria!
- Preheat the oven to 180°C, grease and line a 20cm cake tin with a removable base.
- With an electric hand mixer, beat the butter and sugar in a large bowl until pale.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, mixing until they are incorporated.
- Fold through the flour, baking powder, salt, cardamom and cinnamon until you have a thick cake batter.
- Stir through the apple and pour the batter into the cake tin.
- The batter will be thick, so use a spatula to spread across the base of the tin.
- Spread the almonds on top of the cake and bake in the oven for 40-45 minutes. Cover with tin foil if the almonds brown too much.
- Remove from the oven and leave to cool.
- As the cake is cooling, heat the jam in a saucepan until runny and brush over top of the cake.