With this recipe from MasterChef, making homemade ice cream could not be made easier. No excuses for Sunday dessert!
- 5 egg yolks
- 200 ml milk
- 100 g sugar
- 250 ml cream
- Combine the sugar and egg yolks and beat until thick and pale yellow.
- Bring the milk to a low simmer in a pan.
- Beat the milk into the egg/sugar mixture in a slow stream.
- Pour the mixture back into the pan and place over low heat. Stir continuously until the custard thickens slightly (around 65-70°C) and just coats the back of a spoon. Don't over-heat, though, because at around 76°C you will scramble the eggs! Immediately remove from the heat.
- Transfer the mix to a (chilled) jug and cool the mix to 5°C in freezer.
- Stir in the cream.
- Freeze using an ice cream machine until the consistency of soft (whippy) ice cream.
- Transfer into freezing dish and put back into freezer and freeze until core is -18°C.
- Serve at -16°C.