A traditional favourite but that needn't mean it takes hours to make, this has only a few simple ingredients and takes but 10 minutes to prepare
- 75 ml (3fl oz) strong coffee, cooled
- 4 tblsp amaretto or brandy
- 40 amaretti biscuits (about 85g/3oz in total)
- 1 egg, separated
- 50 g (2oz) caster sugar
- 125 g (4½oz) mascarpone
- 1 tblsp cocoa powder
- Pour the coffee and amaretto or brandy in a bowl. Add half the biscuits and allow to soak for a couple of minutes.
- Meanwhile, place the egg yolk, sugar and mascarpone in a separate bowl and whisk together for 3–4 minutes or until light and fluffy. In another, spotlessly clean bowl, whisk the egg white until it forms soft peaks and then carefully fold into the mascarpone mixture.
- Divide the soaked biscuits between the glasses or bowls. Next, divide approximately half the egg and mascarpone mixture between the glasses, then sift a little of the cocoa powder into each one.
- Repeat with the remaining ingredients to make a second layer of everything. Serve immediately or keep covered in the fridge (for several hours or overnight) until you are ready to serve.