Most supermarkets are now selling a mixed packet of gourmet or wild mushrooms, which would be perfect to use in this dish. However, if you prefer you could use all closed cup or chestnut mushrooms
- 1 tblsp olive oil
- 4 x 100g lean pork chops (well trimmed)
- 150 g packet gourmet mushrooms (sliced)
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 2 tblsp medium sherry
- 200 ml creme fraiche
- boiled potatoes and green beans, to serve
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- small knob of butter
- 2 shallots (finely chopped)
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F/Gas 4). Heat the oil in a frying pan and quickly sear the chops for a minute or so on each side until golden brown, then place in an ovenproof dish, side by side. Season to taste.
- Add the butter to the pan and once melted, stir in the shallots and cook for a couple of minutes until softened, stirring.
- Add the mushrooms and garlic and season to taste, then sáute for another few minutes until the mushrooms are just tender.
- Pour the sherry into the pan and allow to bubble down, then stir in the créme fraîche until just heated through.
- Spoon over the pork chops and bake for 20 minutes until the pork chops are completely cooked through.
- Serve the dish straight to the table and have bowls of boiled potatoes and green beans to hand around separately.
Recipe courtesy from Bord Bia.