Fun, flavoursome food for all the game, this recipe from Ian Dempsey's appearance on The Restaurant will keep tummies, young and old, content.
- 1 onion (peeled and chopped)
- 50 g butter
- 200 ml cream
- 50 g white breadcrumbs
- 200 g minced beef
- 200 g minced pork
- 1 egg beaten
- 1/2 teaspoon all spice
- salt and white pepper
- for the gravy:
- 1 medium onion (peeled and chopped)
- 1 medium carrot (peeled and chopped)
- 2 small sticks of celery (chopped)
- 25 g butter
- 275 ml chicken stock
- 1 tblsp redcurrant jelly
- 0.25 tsp all spice
- 150 ml double cream
- salt and freshly ground white pepper
- Sauté the onion in half the butter – tip onto a plate and leave to cool. Pour cream over breadcrumbs and soak.
- Combine the meat, onion and breadcrumbs in cream – then add in the egg and the all spice. Knead until its mixed thoroughly.
- Divide the mixture and shape into small balls.
- Fry the meatballs in the remaining until they are caramelised on the outside.
- To make the gravy, fry the onion, carrot and celery until tender in the butter and then transfer to a saucepan. Pour in the stock and simmer until reduced by half.
- Strain the gravy into a clean pan then stir in the redcurrant jelly, all spice and salt and pepper.
- Strain again to a larger sauté pan, add the cream and continue cooking until amalgamated. Season well and add the meatballs.
- Serve 4 meatballs per person, with some red cabbage and sautéed potatoes and garnish with cranberries