Your guest will be left more than impressed and you can personalise each fortune for your guests.
- 4 large egg whites
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 6 tblsp sunflower oil
- 175 g all purpose white flour
- 375 g granulated sugar
- 1 ½ teaspoon of cornflour
- 0.5 tsp salt
- 6 tsp water
- Preheat the oven to 150°C (200°F/Gas 2) and grease a wide baking sheet.
- Write and cut out your own customised fortunes on little strips of paper about 10cm by 1cm and set aside.
- Using a whisk, beat the egg whites in a large bowl with the oil, and vanilla extract. Beat them until they become thick, but not stiff. Sieve in the flour and cornflour. Add the sugar, salt and water and mix through the egg whites. Combine thoroughly until you have no lumps and bumps!
- Place 4 level tablespoon of the mix evenly spaced on the baking sheet. I find working with four discs at a time to be the easiest. Distribute the mix evenly by tilting the tray until you get a nice wide disc around 10cm in diameter.
- Bake in the oven for 10-15 minutes, or until the cookies go a light golden brown colour around the edges. Working quickly - remove one disc from the baking sheet, place the fortune in the center and gently fold in half. Bend the two ends of the disc over the rim of a glass and hold in position for 20 seconds until it cools.
- Repeat the process until you get through all the cookie mix.
Donal's tip: The trick to making the cookies is timing, so prepare everything you need before you stick them in the oven. You have to mould the hot little discs as soon as they come out of the oven, so I would suggest you use a pair of gloves or some kitchen paper. I don't have asbestos hands so when I first made these I was hopping around the place from the heat of moulding them with my bare hands. NOT FUN! The technique of molding is fairly simple, you fold the disc in half, and then fold it in half again over the rim of a glass. Sound easy? It is!