Ideal for a family Sunday lunch and needs only a green salad to accompany.
- 1 tblsp olive oil
- 500 g lean stewing beef (diced)
- 300 g baby onions
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 0.5 tsp ground cumin
- 0.5 tsp ground cinnamon
- 400 g tin chopped tomatoes
- 400 ml red wine
- 1 bay leaf
- 350 g baby potatoes
- 400 g tin artichoke hearts (drained and halved)
- 200 g frozen soya or broad beans (thawed)
- 50 g black olives (stoned and roughly chopped)
- Cut the ends from the onions. Put in large bowl, covering with boiling water. Allow to stand for 2-3 minutes to loosen the skins.
- Heat the olive oil in a large casserole over a moderate heat. Add the beef and brown evenly, stirring occasionally, for about 8 minutes.
- When you have slipped the skins from the onions, pop them into the casserole to brown lightly, stirring frequently, for about 5 minutes. Stir in the garlic with the ground spices.
- Pour in the tomatoes and red wine and bring to the boil. Add the bay leaf, reduce the heat to low, cover the casserole and simmer gently for 1 hour.
- Stir the potatoes into the casserole and continue to simmer for a further 30 minutes, covered, until the meat and potatoes are tender.
- Add the artichoke hearts, beans and olives and cook for a final 5 minutes to heat through.
- Season to taste.