Richard Corrigan shows how to serve up delicious turkey legs this Christmas.
- 2 turkey legs (sliced into pieces about 2cm thick, get your butcher to do this, it is difficult to saw through the bone)
- 100 g flour
- 25 g butter
- vegetable oil
- 200 ml stock
- 3 bulbs of fennel (roughly chopped)
- 1 onion (roughly chopped)
- 3 sticks celery (roughly chopped)
- 2 cloves garlic (roughly chopped)
- 1 tin of chopped plum tomatoes
- 6 dried apricots (halved)
- 6 figs (halved)
- 6 prunes (stoned and halved)
- 8 dates (stoned and halved)
- 2 sprigs of fresh thyme
- 100 ml marsala
- 2 star anise
- 1 tblsp mustard seeds
- 1 bouquet garni
- salt and pepper
- Put all the vegetables, dried fruit, herbs, spices, tin of tomatoes and stock into a deep roasting dish.
- Sprinkle the flour on a plate and season with salt and pepper - dust all the turkey pieces with the flour.
- Heat oil and melt butter in a large frying pan and brown the turkey legs pieces on all sides.
- When the turkey pieces are browned, take them from the pan and put on top of the mixed vegetables.
- Deglaze the pan with the Marsala, pour the Marsala over the turkey and vegetable mix.
- Cover with tin foil and cook in a preheated oven 200°C (400°F, Gas 6) for 1½ hours.