A tasty dip.
- 3 medium aubergines
- 150 g cream cheese or soft goats cheese
- 1 tsp cumin seeds (roasted and crushed)
- 0.5 tsp chilli flakes (optional)
- 1 lemon (juice and zest)
- 1 tsp black pepper
- dash of olive oil
- salt to taste
- Lightly coat an auburgine with a little oil and stick a fork into it.
- Turn gas hob to high and hold the aubergine over it, turning as the skin starts to bubble and scorch.
- When all the skin has been ‘bubbled’ all over and the aubergine flesh feels a little softer, set it aside on a plate to cool and repeat for the other aubergines.
- NB: You could also pop the aubergines onto a roasting tray, into a hot oven (about 230°C or gas mark 7). Turn them occasionally to ensure the skin is evenly scorched.
- Using your fingers, strip the scorched skin from each aubergine.
- Throw the skin aside and roughly chop the aubergines.
- Put the aubergines into a blender with a splash of olive oil. Blitz.
- Add the cheese, cumin, chilli flakes (if using), lemon juice, black pepper and blitz again until you get a ‘paste’.
- Then, add more olive oil until it has a “whipped cream” consistency.
- Add a little salt if you feel it needs it.
- Pour the dip into a bowl and serve.