The tasty solution to Sunday dinner left-overs
- 100 g shredded bacon
- 400 g mash potato
- 60 g flour
- 15 g parmesan
- 1 egg
- salt and pepper
- 1 tblsp chopped chives
- 2 shallots diced
- 0.5 clove garlic crushed (sweat)
- pinch of thyme
- 20 g butter (plus oil for frying)
- for the cabbage purée:
- 200 g cabbage
- 2 shallots (finely diced)
- tablespoon butter
- 50 ml cream
- for the caper mayonnaise:
- 100 ml mayonnaise
- 1 tblsp white wine vinegar
- pinch cayenne
- tablespoon chopped capers and tbsp chop chives
- Sweat shallots, garlic and thyme before adding the bacon.
- Continue to cook for 30 seconds or so, to warm. Put to one side and allow to cool.
- Place the mash potato (warmed) in a bowl with flour, 10g butter, chives and season with Parmesan.
- Mix well until nicely blended, not too wet or dry. Tip: If the mixture is too dry, add a little milk to soften, then add your Bacon and shallot mix again, making sure it's nice and evenly mixed.
- Depending on how many cakes you want, divide mix up accordingly to shape. Roll mix lightly and then flatten slightly.
- To cook, heat a pan with a little olive oil, lightly flour potato cake and place in pan (not too hot).
- Cook for 2-3mins on each side. Before removing, place butter in the pan and baste cake.
- Remove, drain and serve.
- Sweat shredded cabbage and shallots for 3-4 mins, add the cream and seasoning. Purée in blender, check the seasoning and add the chives.
- Mix all ingredients together. If you want smooth mayo, blitz for a couple of seconds on processor and serve.