This classic French dessert combines a rich custard with a hard, caramel topping.
- 30 egg yolks
- 4 l cream
- 600 g sugar
- 3 vanilla pods
- reduced passion fruit juice
- 1 orange (zest) and some ginger infused in boiled cream
- Separate eggs (keep whites for meringues).
- Retain the yolks.
- Split vanilla pods and scrape out seeds.
- Add the scraped pod and the seeds to your cream.
- Bring cream and vanilla to the boil.
- Remove and strain.
- Meanwhile whisk yolks and eggs together.
- Pour on cream and vanilla whisking all the time.
- This is your basic brûlée mix, if you want a different brûlée flavour omit vanilla and add your flavouring be it baileys, orange, chocolate or coffee.
- Fill your crème brûlée dishes and place in a roasting tray or dish, pour hot water until it comes half-way up your brulée dish, place in the oven at 120°C for 35-40 mins, checking regularly.
- When lightly shaken if the brûlée resembles jelly, remove from the oven and allow to cool completely in the fridge.
- To glaze, generously cover with sugar using a blowtorch to caramelize the sugar.
- This is where crème brûlée gets its name, burnt cream.