Richard Corrigan suggests an alternative way of cooking your turkey this Christmas.
- 1 turkey 8 - 10lbs (legs removed)
- 2 l chicken stock (have more in reserve if necessary)
- 50 g unsalted butter
- 3 sprigs of thyme
- 1 bouquet garni
- 1 onion (halved)
- 1 carrot (cut into large chunks)
- 2 sticks of celery (cut into chunks)
- 1 leek (cut into large chunks)
Step 1 - Poaching the Turkey Crown:
- Put the stock, bouquet garni and butter in to a saucepan large enough to hold the crown of turkey.
- Add the optional ingredients at this point too, bring the pot to poaching temperature (Poaching is where the water moves but does not break the surface).
- Place the crown of turkey in to the poaching pot and allow cook for 1 hour 30 minutes
- Allow the crown to cool in the liquid if not required immediately.
- Remove the crown from the poaching pan and allow rest. Reserve the stock for the following dishes
Step 2 - Roasting the Crown:
- Heat some oil and butter in a large roasting tin or a large frying pan on the hob.
- Place the crown in the pan and allow brown, keep turning it until all sides are browned and the turkey is heated through and is a glorious golden colour.
- This should take about 30-40 minutes.