Richard Corrigan uses organic ham for his Christmas dinner.
- 2 onions (peeled and halved)
- 6 celery stalks (cut into large pieces)
- 3 leeks (washed and cut into large pieces)
- 1 head of garlic
- 2 star anise
- 1 tsp crushed cardamon pods
- 0.5 tsp black pepper corns
- 1 bottle of white wine
- greaseproof paper
- tin foil
- Put all the vegetables and spices into a large saucepan, it needs to be large enough to hold the vegetables and the ham.
- Sit the ham on the vegetable trivet. Pour over the bottle of wine.
- Cover the ham and vegetables with a double piece of greaseproof paper.
- Cover the top of the pan with a double layer of tin foil and scrunch up tightly so that no steam can escape
- Put on the tightly fitting lid make sure not to break the tin foil seal
- Bring to steaming and allow steam for 25mins per ½ kg.
- The ham can be steamed on the hob or in the oven at 180°C for 25-30mins per ½ kg depending on the oven.
- Remove from the heat once cooked and allow rest in the liquor for 15-20mins.
- Remove the pot and take off the rind- it should roll away easily once cooked.