Want to transform a simple salad into something extra special? Thomas Haughton shows you just how easy it is with this Caprese Salad recipe.
- 8 plum vine tomato
- 200 g good mozzarella
- 1 bunch of fresh basil
- 50 ml olive oil
- pinch of sea salt
- grind black pepper
- pinch of sugar
- 20 ml 25 year old balsamic
- Slice the vine ripened plum tomato. Season with olive oil, sugar, salt and pepper and leave to one side.
- Thinly slice mozzarella into nice roundels keeping to a similar size and thickness. Put to one side with tomato.
- Make the olive oil and balsamic using the aged balsamic.
- To serve:
- Lay alternate layers of tomato, mozzarella and basil.
- Season with salt and pepper and olive oil.
- Finish with aged balsamic dressing and some crusty bread.