Make the Sicilian aubergine dish - as cooked by Richard Corrigan for the 'Fair City' cast.
- 1 large aubergine (chopped into 2-3cm squares)
- extra virgin olive oil
- 6 stalks of celery (peeled and cut into chunks)
- 1 large onion (chopped, similar sizes to celery)
- 6 tomatoes (skinned, deseeded and cut into quarters)
- 2 tblsp castor sugar
- 4 tblsp white wine vinegar
- 2 tblsp caperberries
- 4 mixed roast peppers (chopped)
- 15-20 black pitted olives
- Put the chopped aubergine into a colander and sprinkle lots of salt on it.
- Cover with a weighted plate and set to one side for 20 minutes.
- Heat through the vinegar and sugar until the sugar is dissolved.
- Heat some extra virgin olive oil in a frying pan.
- Cook the celery and onion but do not brown. Remove from the pan and put in a large bowl.
- Cook the aubergine until slightly coloured and tender. Add more oil if needed.
- Once the aubergine is tender transfer it to the bowl.
- Add the tomatoes, peppers, olive and capers to the bowl and mix thoroughly.
- Pour over the vinegar and sugar and stir the ingredients together.
- Check flavouring and adjust if necessary.
- Transfer in to a serving dish. Serve lukewarm or cold.