Cooked by Dermot O'Neill on RTÉ's 'The Restaurant'.
- 4 ripe comice pears
- 200 g sugar
- 500 ml water
- 200 g cashel blue cheese
- 50 g walnuts
- 150 ml glenillen cream (or double cream)
- Pre-heat the oven to 180°C / Gas 4.
- Put the sugar and water in a large pot and heat gently stirring constantly. When the sugar has dissolved cook out for another 2 minutes. Remove from the heat and cool.
- Meanwhile peel and core the pears and poach lightly in the sugar syrup for approximately 5 minutes. Remove, strain and leave to cool.
- Cut the pear into thick slices and place in a dish, slice the blue cheese and arrange some slices on top of the pear. Sprinkle with walnuts and drizzle generously with the cream.
- Place the pear dish in the grill for 7-8 minutes until the cream is bubbling and the cheese browns.
- Serve the gratin hot with a glass of Chateau Dereszla Tokaji 5 Puttonyos.