A sweet summery treat with plenty of taste packed in.
- for the jelly and sorbet:
- 1 kg strawberries (hulled, quartered and washed)
- 1 tblsp unrefined caster sugar
- 1 orange
- 1 lemon
- 125 ml fruity red wine
- orange flower water, to taste
- 5 leaves of gold gelatin
- 4 jelly moulds
- for the garnish:
- 200 g strawberries
- 20 g mint chopped
- Place the prepared berries in a bowl, add the sugar. Leave to macerate for about two hours.
- Meanwhile, zest the orange and lemon by paring off the skin in one piece. Take care to remove all the white pith, as this will make the liquid bitter. Juice the fruits and reserve 100ml.
- Place the wine in a pan and bring to the boil for a couple of minutes, until you can no longer smell the alcohol. Add the zest and reserved juice of the orange and lemon; simmer until the liquid is reduced by half. Strain and set aside to cool.
- In a liquidiser, combine the macerated strawberries with the wine reduction and blend. Now use your taste buds to finish the dish. Add about 1 tbsp orange flower water. You may also need to add a little more sugar and orange juice, depending on the ripeness and quality of the strawberries, and perhaps some more orange flower water, too.
- Pass it through a fine-mesh sieve.
- Keep half of the liquid for the sorbet. Place in an ice cream machine and churn. When ready freeze.
- Soak the gelatin leaves in cold water until soft. Heat 50ml of the soup add the gelatin and whisk until dissolved- mix into the remaining soup.
- Place the fruit in the moulds presentation side down and pour in the soup mix with some mint-until half way the set in the fridge 30 minutes.
- Repeat until the moulds are full.
- To serve:
- Remove the jellies from moulds and place in the centre of the bowls. Serve with a scoop of sorbet.