A healthy alternative from Dr Eva Orsmond.
- 200 g aubergine (sliced in ½ cm thick slices)
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 50 g small onion (sliced finely)
- 2 (or 3) cloves of chopped garlic
- 100 g premium lean mince meat
- ¼ cube of beef stock
- pinch of black pepper
- 1 can chopped tomatoes
- 100 g sweet potato (sliced very thinly)
- 100 g courgette
- 50 g light mozzarella cheese
- Cut the aubergine in round slices. Lay them in a dish, sprinkle with salt and leave to stand.
- Preheat the oven to 200°c.
- Heat the oil and sauté the onion and garlic until soft but not brown. Add mincemeat and fry for a few minutes, breaking it into small pieces.
- Stir in the chopped tomatoes, courgette chopped in small pieces, beef stock, black pepper and 2-3 cloves of chopped garlic.
- Let simmer without lid on so that excess water will evaporate and you will get a thick sauce.
- When aubergine slices are sweating water out you can rinse them and pat dry on kitchen paper.
- Spray thin layer of olive oil on oven dish and place aubergine slices on the dish and grill in the oven for approx 10min.
- Oil slightly a one-portion oven dish and lay thinly sliced sweet potatoes on the bottom of it.
- Turn your meat tomato mixture over it and lay your grilled aubergine slices over that.
- Cover your oven dish with tinfoil. Place in oven for approx 45 mins.
- Remove the tinfoil halfway through cooking and move the dish slightly from one side to another to move the liquid on the bottom to get more even distribution of it and improve the flavour.
- Finish off with a layer of thin mozzarella slices.