When the Labour and the Progressive Democrats parties both suffered heavy seat losses in the 1997 general election, the independent candidates and small parties benefited.
- Title Election Success for Independents
- 1st Broadcast 10/06/1997
- ContributorMike Milotte (Reporter)
Miriam O'Callaghan (Presenter)
- Clip Duration 00:05:31
- Material Type Video
- Series title Prime Time
- Clip title Election Success For Independents
- Extended description
Presenter Miriam O'Callaghan gives the background to the success of small parties and independents in the recent election.
'Prime Time' reporter Mike Milotte profiles successful candidates in the 1997 general election from minority parties or those who contested the election independently. Michael Lowry, Joe Higgins, Jackie Healy Rae, Mildred Fox, Harry Blaney, Thomas Gildea and Tony Gregory are shown in their various count centres and are interviewed briefly after they are elected.
'Prime Time' is RTÉ's main current affairs series and was first broadcast in 1998 and continues today.
- Local keywords General Election 1997, Progressive Democrats, Independent candidates, Michael Lowry, Joe Higgins, Jackie Healy Rae, Mildred Fox, Harry Blaney, Thomas Gildea, Tony Gregory, Socialist Party
- Geographical coverage Ireland
- Topic Politics and Economics
- Publisher Broadcaster RTÉ
- First broadcast channel RTÉ One
- Production year 1997
- Country of production IRELAND
- Original identifier HX60/11740
- IPR restrictions Rights Reserved - Free Access
- Rights terms and conditions
Copyright RTÉ. This material may not be replicated in any form or manner without the prior express permission of RTÉ. Any form of reproduction in print, television, video, multimedia, web site or other electronic media or any form of dissemination for commercial or non-commercial use must be licensed by the RTÉ Libraries and Archives.
If you wish to licence video or audio clips, still images or text, or would like further guidance please contact us.
RTÉ Libraries and Archives are committed to respecting the copyright of others and have attempted to source and credit the copyright owners of all material used here. RTÉ would like to hear from any copyright owners who are not properly identified here so that the necessary corrections can be made. If you feel your copyright has not been respected please contact us.
- Item type part/extract
- Item colour Colour
- Item sound Mono
- Aspect ratio 4:3
- Language used English (eng)
- Original language English (eng)
Fewer Women in Parliament
Broadcast - 10/06/1997
Clip Length - 00:01:53
Election Success For Independents
Broadcast - 10/06/1997
Clip Length - 00:05:31
- 1965 General Election
- 1969 General Election
- 1973 General Election
- 1977 General Election
- 1981 General Election
- 1982 General Election February
- 1982 General Election November
- 1987 General Election
- 1989 General Election
- 1992 General Election
- 1997 General Election
- 2002 General Election
- 2007 General Election
- 2011 General Election