Eoghan Harris questions the validity of canvassing for votes door to door during elections in Ireland.
- Title Eoghan Harris and Canvassing
- 1st Broadcast 03/06/1997
- ContributorMairéad de Buitléir (Reporter)
- Clip Duration 00:03:50
- Material Type Video
- Series title Agenda
- Clip title "Canvassing is a Hypocritical Practice"
- Extended description
In a report from the series 'Agenda' Eoghan Harris, author and journalist, questions the validity of election canvassing in the modern age when politics is centralised.
Speaking in both Irish and English, he argues that canvassing is hypocritical. The report features black and white archive footage of canvassing from previous elections.
The report ends with Pat and Martina, Fianna Fáil activists canvassing a sheep farmer in the Corr na Mona area of Galway.
The report is subtitled in English.
A report from the Irish language series 'Agenda' questioning the use of canvassing in modern elections.
- Local keywords General Election 1997, Canvassing, Corr na Mona, Eoghan Harris, Galway, The Twelve Bens
- Geographical coverage Corr na Mona, Galway, Ireland
- Topic Politics and Economics
- Publisher Broadcaster RTÉ
- First broadcast channel RTÉ One
- Production year 1997
- Country of production IRELAND
- Original identifier BX33/008892
- IPR restrictions Rights Reserved - Free Access
- Rights terms and conditions
Copyright RTÉ. This material may not be replicated in any form or manner without the prior express permission of RTÉ. Any form of reproduction in print, television, video, multimedia, web site or other electronic media or any form of dissemination for commercial or non-commercial use must be licensed by the RTÉ Libraries and Archives.
If you wish to licence video or audio clips, still images or text, or would like further guidance please contact us.
RTÉ Libraries and Archives are committed to respecting the copyright of others and have attempted to source and credit the copyright owners of all material used here. RTÉ would like to hear from any copyright owners who are not properly identified here so that the necessary corrections can be made. If you feel your copyright has not been respected please contact us.
- Item type part/extract
- Item colour Black and White
- Item sound Mono
- Aspect ratio 4:3
- Language used English and Irish
- Original language English (eng)
Presiding Officer Loses After Photograph With Bertie
Broadcast - 07/06/1997
Clip Length - 00:05:00
"Canvassing is a Hypocritical Practice"
Broadcast - 03/06/1997
Clip Length - 00:03:50
Harney and Spring Clash
Broadcast - 03/06/1997
Clip Length - 00:01:58
Reaction to John Bruton and Bertie Ahern TV Debate
Broadcast - 06/06/1997
Clip Length - 00:05:23
Gormley Calls for Electronic Voting
Broadcast - 09/06/1997
Clip Length - 00:01:53
- 1965 General Election
- 1969 General Election
- 1973 General Election
- 1977 General Election
- 1981 General Election
- 1982 General Election February
- 1982 General Election November
- 1987 General Election
- 1989 General Election
- 1992 General Election
- 1997 General Election
- 2002 General Election
- 2007 General Election
- 2011 General Election