Gabriel Egan is there at the 1990 World Cup to describe the penalty shoot-out between Ireland and Romania.
- Title World Cup Soccer Ireland v Romania
- 1st Broadcast 25/06/1990
- ContributorGabriel Egan
- Clip Duration 00:03:34
- Material Type Audio
- Clip title “Rome, Here We Come”
- Extended description
Packie Bonner, the first goal keeper of Italia 90 to face a penalty in a shootout situation at the end of 90 minutes normal time followed by half an hour of extra time.
With the shootout tied at 4-4 and only one penalty each to go, Bonner saved a poorly taken penalty by Romania's Daniel Timofte, setting up David O'Leary to score the winning Irish goal. Ireland are through to the quarter final of the World Cup.
The accompanying image shows Packie Bonner making a save on goal during the match.
- Local keywords Gabriel Egan, Jim Beglin, 1990, World Cup, Ireland, Romania, Daniel Timofte, David O'Leary, Italia 90, Packie Bonner
- Geographical coverage Ireland
- Topic Sport
- Publisher Broadcaster RTÉ
- First broadcast channel RTÉ
- Production year 1990
- Country of production Ireland
- Original identifier AA5951
- IPR restrictions Rights Reserved - Free Access
- Rights terms and conditions
Copyright RTÉ. This material may not be replicated in any form or manner without the prior express permission of RTÉ. Any form of reproduction in print, television, video, multimedia, web site or other electronic media or any form of dissemination for commercial or non-commercial use must be licensed by the RTÉ Archives.
If you wish to licence video or audio clips, still images or text, or would like further guidance please contact us.
RTÉ Archives are committed to respecting the copyright of others and have attempted to source and credit the copyright owners of all material used here. RTÉ would like to hear from any copyright owners who are not properly identified here so that the necessary corrections can be made. If you feel your copyright has not been respected please contact us.
- Item type part/extract
- Item sound Mono
- Language used English (eng)
- Original language English (eng)