This news clip shows the damage caused as a result of altercations following a disrupted civil rights meeting in Dungannon, Tyrone.
- Title Aftermath of Tyrone Demonstrations
- 1st Broadcast 05/12/1968
- Clip Duration 00:01:55
- Material Type Video
- Series title RTÉ News
- Clip title Councillor Resigns following Death Threats
- Extended description
The film shows several shop-fronts with broken windows, a damaged car and shop-front hoardings being removed.
Labour councillor Jack Hassard then gives the reasons for his resignation - death threats that have been made to himself and his wife, and threats to kidnap his family. He describes the people that made these threats as "cowards".
Hassard recognises that the authorities need to take strong action to reinstate law and order if we are to avoid civil war.
Hassard recounts how he and his wife had been attacked by unionists the previous night.
A RTÉ News report on the aftermath of the Tyrone demonstrations through the eyes of Labour councillor Jack Hassard.
This report was broadcast on 5 December 1968.
- Local keywords Civil Rights Movement, Northern Ireland, Dungannon, Tyrone, Jack Hassard, Civil Rights, 1968
- Geographical coverage Ireland, Tyrone, Dungannon
- Topic Wars and Conflict
- First broadcast channel RTÉ
- Production year 1968
- Country of production Ireland
- Original identifier N2134/0068I
- IPR restrictions Rights Reserved - Free Access
- Rights terms and conditions
Copyright RTÉ. This material may not be replicated in any form or manner without the prior express permission of RTÉ. Any form of reproduction in print, television, video, multimedia, web site or other electronic media or any form of dissemination for commercial or non-commercial use must be licensed by the RTÉ Archives.
If you wish to licence video or audio clips, still images or text, or would like further guidance please contact us.
RTÉ Archives are committed to respecting the copyright of others and have attempted to source and credit the copyright owners of all material used here. RTÉ would like to hear from any copyright owners who are not properly identified here so that the necessary corrections can be made. If you feel your copyright has not been respected please contact us.
- Item type part/extract
- Item colour Black and White
- Item sound Mono
- Aspect ratio 4:3
- Language used English (eng)