This report captures the Derry Civil Rights demonstration in full swing.
- Title Derry Civil Rights Demonstration
- 1st Broadcast 05/10/1968
- ContributorGay O'Brien (Cameraman)
- Clip Duration 00:04:22
- Material Type Video
- Series title RTÉ News
- Clip title Protest in Full Swing
- Extended description
Inspector William Meharg informs the protesters that while they are free to protest, they cannot enter a restricted area. Ivan Cooper, addressing the protestors through a megaphone, hopes that the marchers will act in a responsible manner and outlines why they are marching.
Led by Gerry Fitt and Eddie McAteer, they proceed along the prohibited route. McAteer, Currie and others get through the police cordon. In Duke Street, protesters remonstrate with police and Pat Douglas is hit by a police officer.
The RUC force the crowd back with indiscriminate use of batons.
A RTÉ News report from the Derry civil rights protests. This report was broadcast on 5 October 1968.
- Local keywords Civil Rights Movement, Derry, Londonderry, William Meharg, Ivan Cooper, Gerry Fitt, Eddie McAteer, Austin Currie, Pat Douglas, RUC, 1968
- Geographical coverage Ireland, Northern Ireland, Derry, Londonderry
- Genre News
- Topic Wars and Conflict
- Publisher Broadcaster RTÉ
- First broadcast channel RTÉ
- Production year 1968
- Country of production Ireland
- Original identifier N1257/0068D
- IPR restrictions Rights Reserved - Free Access
- Rights terms and conditions
Copyright RTÉ. This material may not be replicated in any form or manner without the prior express permission of RTÉ. Any form of reproduction in print, television, video, multimedia, web site or other electronic media or any form of dissemination for commercial or non-commercial use must be licensed by the RTÉ Archives.
If you wish to licence video or audio clips, still images or text, or would like further guidance please contact us.
RTÉ Archives are committed to respecting the copyright of others and have attempted to source and credit the copyright owners of all material used here. RTÉ would like to hear from any copyright owners who are not properly identified here so that the necessary corrections can be made. If you feel your copyright has not been respected please contact us.
- Item type part/extract
- Item colour Black and White
- Item sound Mono
- Aspect ratio 4:3
- Language used English (eng)
"Policemen to the Front of Us, Policemen to the back of Us ... No Way Out"
Broadcast - 02/02/1972
Clip Length - 00:02:44
"For the Sake of Our City and the Future"
Broadcast - 04/10/1968
Clip Length - 00:02:24
Protest in Full Swing
Broadcast - 05/10/1968
Clip Length - 00:04:22
Riot Scenes at Derry Demonstration
Broadcast - 06/10/1968
Clip Length - 00:00:17
Scenes in Derry after Riot
Broadcast - 06/10/1968
Clip Length - 00:00:44