On the same night that Shamrock Rovers' Europa League campaign ended in Cyprus, Raul Jimenez powered Wolves past Crusaders to set them up for a 6,370-mile round trip to Armenia in the third qualifying round.

The striker's brace helped earn a 4-1 win in Belfast - although they now face a gruelling journey just 72 hours before their Premier League campaign starts.

Nuno Espirito Santo's side were forced to come from behind on Thursday but won their second round qualifying tie 6-1 on aggregate.

Ryan Bennett's early own goal gave the visitors a scare but Jimenez's first-half brace - either side of Bennett's header at the right end - put Wolves on course for victory.

Jordan Forsythe's own goal added a fourth for the visitors, who will now travel to FC Pyunik next week in the third qualifying round.

Pyunik beat Jablonec 2-1 on aggregate and Wolves must make the trip for Thursday's game ahead of next Sunday's Premier League opener at Leicester.

It is the price they pay for last season's success and the journey to Armenia, which borders Iran, will test a small squad.

Republic of Ireland full-back Matt Doherty sat out the game as he continues to recover from a minor knee problem.

Rangers manager Steven Gerrard

Rangers gained Europa League revenge on Progres Niederkorn but without exacting cruel retribution as they edged past their old foes with a goalless draw in Luxembourg.

Gers were back at the scene of their worst ever European result as they returned to the Stade Josy Barthel to face the part-time minnows.

But there was no repeat of the nightmare that befell Pedro Caixinha's side two years ago as they ground out a 2-0 aggregate win.

Last week's Ibrox strikes from Joe Aribo and Sheyi Ojo proved to be a big enough cushion for Steven Gerrard's team as they set up a third qualifying round showdown with Danes Midtjylland.

Scott Arfield came close to settling the tie early while Progres briefly threatened another upset with a couple of half-chances.

But Gers stood firm as they put the ghosts of 2017 to rest.

Sam Cosgrove scored a hat-trick as Aberdeen crushed Georgian side Chikhura 5-0 at Pittodrie to confirm a 6-1 aggregate win. Aberdeen now face Rijeka of Croatia.

Northern Ireland's Linfield beat Faroese side HB Torshavn 1-0 at Windsor Park to win 3-2 on aggregate. Andrew Waterworth scored the only goal of the game after 20 minutes to set up a meeting with Sutjeska of Montenegro next time out.