Cork's Mark Keane is set to be available for the Rebel County after deciding to end his association with AFL club Collingwood.

A Cork official has told RTÉ Sport that reports suggesting that the 21-year-old will not be returning to Australia are believed to be correct, and he is now expected to link up with the Rebel hurlers.

Keane had previously hit the headlines for the county’s footballers after netting the winning goal in extra-time in their 2020 Munster Championship semi-final victory over Kerry. He had been granted special permission to play in the game by the Magpies. Keane also played in the provincial final loss to Tipperary.

In August, Collingwood green-lighted Keane’s request to return to Ireland three rounds before the end of the season.

"The Magpies approved the move, with Keane to be back in Australia before Christmas for Collingwood's pre-season campaign," the club said at the time.

The player had returned to Australia since but was home recently to help his club Ballygiblin claim the Munster junior hurling crown last Sunday with Keane playing centre half-back in the 2-14 to 1-09 win over Tipperary outfit Skeheenarinky.

They now face Manchester outfit Fullen Gaels in the All-Ireland semi-final on 23 January after the British champions defeated Ulster representatives Craobh Rua on penalties.

Keane had made the move to the AFL in 2018 when he was signed as a category B rookie by the Magpies. He played five first-team games for the club in his time there.