Tomás Ó Sé has questioned the decision of Sligo GAA to withdraw from Saturday's Connacht Senior Football Championship semi-final against Galway, claiming that it brings the integrity of the competition into doubt.

The Sligo squad has been hit by an outbreak of Covid-19, with seven positive tests on Monday and other members of the team unavailable due to being deemed close contacts.

The Sligo county board released a statement on Tuesday night which confirmed their decision to withdraw from the clash with Galway and informed the GAA of their "regrettable but correct decision".

However, former Kerry All-Ireland winner and Sunday Game analyst Tomás Ó Sé believes the Sligo board may have acted in haste and he raised concerns about the effects their decision has on the integrity of the competition. 

Ó Sé tweeted: "Very disappointing Sligo have pulled out of the championship. I'd love to know the exact situation that has led to this. Is it 11 players or more?"

Ó Sé pointed to other counties who have similarly been hit by Covid-19. Fermanagh fielded a team against Clare last month despite losing a large number of their panel due to positive tests and close contacts, while Leitrim conceded their Division 3 game against Down.

He wrote: "Leitrim and Longford have had issues. We never found out the exact details of the Leitrim situation.

"Fermanagh who had 18 players missing fulfilled their fixture in Ennis so it can be done.

"I'm not playing down the seriousness of this but the integrity of the competition is being questioned now. Galway have been thrown into an awful situation. Potentially 3 games to win an All-Ireland??

"Why is it all weaker counties that seem to be in bother with this, does it suit them?"

Speaking to Ocean FM today, Sligo manager Paul Taylor insisted that he simply didn't have enough players to play the game when close contacts were taken into account.

"Because of the amount of Covid cases and close contacts, the numbers don't add up to fulfil the fixture," he said.

"From a football point of view it is not that we are not going, we can’t go.

"The players themselves are so disappointed, they would have thought that a refixture would have been an option. They feel that the situation has been forced on them. We have a panel of 32 available to us as per the guidelines and that is probably too few for a smaller county when this happens.

"We are still waiting on some results, the numbers don’t add up for us to travel. Right now everyone is doing well and that is what is important now."

GAA president John Horan said earlier this week that the tight time-frame to complete the football championship meant that the association would not consider postponing games until  the All-Ireland semi-final stage.