A raft of positive Covid-19 tests in the Sligo camp has led the county to withdraw from Saturday's scheduled Connacht SFC semi-final against Galway.

The Yeats County were rocked by seven positive tests on Monday, but were expected to be even further depleted for the Pearse Stadium clash due to contact tracing protocols and further testing. 

The Sligo county board took the decision to concede the game late on Tuesday night after discussions with all stakeholders. 

A statement from Sligo read: "Sligo GAA have taken the tough decision to withdraw from this weekend's Connacht SFC semi-final versus Galway.

"Paul Taylor and his management team along with the panel of 32 players have been working together since September. Due to the unforeseen circumstances of players testing positive for Covid-19 and other players deemed as close contacts, makes it impossible for Sligo to fulfil the fixture.

"The county board executive along with the players and management are extremely upset at having to make this decision. The players themselves are hugely disappointed at not having the option of a refixture and feel the outcome has been forced on them, whilst understanding that in these unusual times it is not possible to take part this coming weekend.

"All affected by Covid-19 findings are following the requisite HSE guidelines and we are glad to report doing well at this time.  

"Sligo GAA have informed GAA officials at Croke Park and Connacht GAA of this regrettable but correct decision."

The Connacht final is currently scheduled to take place on 15 November, but with provincial finals in the other three provinces all down for decision the following weekend, it was hoped by fans that there might be some room for manoeuvre. 

However, GAA president John Horan on Monday reiterated the stance that Covid-related postponements would only be considered for the latter stages of the championship. 

He told RTÉ's Morning Ireland: "We do have contingency plans in place if we run into a problem at the All-Ireland semi-finals or final.

"It wouldn't be our decision around the availability of a player or team. We would be guided by the public health authorities, whose opinion we have to take and respect continuously."

Galway will now face either Roscommon or Mayo in the Connacht final on the third Sunday in November.