Despite their geographical distance Kerry and Mayo have shared one of the most intense modern football rivalries in the GAA.

Over the past 23 years they've played in three All-Ireland finals and four All-Ireland semi-finals, two of which went to replays.

The record stands at five-two to the Kingdom and these games have provided some absolute classics. As the pair get ready for their third meeting of the season, Mayo winning both in the league including the final, in the Super 8s on Sunday RTÉ Sport takes a look back at some of their most entertaining clashes.

2017 All-Ireland semi-final (draw)
Kerry 2-14 Mayo 2-14

Donaghy and O'Shea share a joke

Mayo eventually won this tie on their way to a fourth All-Ireland final appearance in six years and it was a run littered with brilliant games – few better than this.

Mayo decided to use Aidan O’Shea at full-back to mark Kerry target-man Kieran Donaghy and this was a compelling sideshow in a remarkable game that both games could have won and at times looked like they were trying to lose.

Andy Moran and Colm Boyle got Mayo’s goals in the first half and after the break they looked in control. Goals from David Moran and Johnny Buckley either side of half-time dragged Kerry back into it and Paddy Durcan fired over an injury-time equaliser to send the game to a replay.

2014 All-Ireland semi-final (replay)
Kerry 3-16 Mayo 3-13 (AET)

Rob Hennelly's late, long-range free fell just short

This was one of the all-time classic games of Gaelic football and even the entertaining draw at Croke Park the week before didn’t hint at the drama that would unfold. The fact that the game was bumped to the Gaelic Grounds in Limerick because of an American football game at GAA Headquarters only added to the intrigue.

Mayo were on fire in the first half, Cillian O’Connor getting two goals, one from the spot, as they raced into a seven-point lead. Future Footballer of the Year James O’Donoghue dragged Kerry back into it with two penalties.

It finished 3-11 apiece at the end of normal time and it was 3-13 each at half-time in extra-time. O’Connor and Aidan O’Shea collided and weren’t the same players in the game after while Mayo were left frustrated by an erratic refereeing performance from Cormac Reilly.

2011 All-Ireland semi-final
Kerry 1-20 Mayo 1-11

Mayo's Cillian O'Connor is tackled by Killian Young of Kerry

This game was as lot closer than the scoreline suggests and is interesting because it was the game that ended James Horan’s first season in charge of Mayo. Since then they have only failed to make at least an All-Ireland semi-final once.

The then 19-year-old Cillian O’Connor got Mayo’s goal, but star of the show was Colm Cooper with 1-07 (3f) while Paul Galvin game into the game as a substitute and made a big contribution.

Mayo wing-back Donal Vaughan scored three points from play and kept Declan O’Sullivan scoreless while Andy Moran gave Marc Ó Sé a tough time, though he wasn’t able to convert any of the three goal-chances he worked.

1997 All-Ireland final
Kerry 0-13 Mayo 1-07

Kerry legend Maurice Fitzgerald on the ball against Mayo

Kerry bridged an eleven-year gap between All-Ireland wins, their longest between Sam Maguires. This was Mayo’s second final defeat in succession, losing to Meath in ’96, and their wait for a first All-Ireland since 1951 goes on to this day.

It was revenge for the Kingdom for 12 months earlier and Paidí Ó Sé’s first All-Ireland as manager, to go with the eight he won as a player. Ciarán McDonald got Mayo’s goal from a penalty, but had a bad day from frees.

The great Maurice Fitzgerald was the star of the show for Kerry, scoring 0-09, including that outrageous point from the right sideline off the outside of his right boot.

1996 All-Ireland semi-final
Mayo 2-13 Kerry 1-10

Charlie McCarthy of Kerry in action against Mayo's John Casey

This was Paidí Ó Sé’s first year in senior inter-county management and John Maughan’s first year in charge of his native Mayo, though he had guided Clare to victory over the Kingdom in Munster two years previously.

Only just over 33,000 fans were in Croke Park for this one. James Nallen got the first goal of the game and Seán Burke responded almost straight away for the Kingdom.

Maurice Sheridan got a free to put Mayo three up and current manager James Horan got his side’s second goal to put six between the sides and settle the contest.