Three US college basketball players arrested in China for shoplifting are returning home, a league official said after President Donald Trump intervened on their behalf.

UCLA players LiAngelo Ball - the younger brother of Los Angeles Lakers rookie star Lonzo Ball - and teammates Cody Riley and Jalen Hill were on a flight to Los Angeles, the commissioner of the Pacific-12 conference, Larry Scott, said in a statement.

"The matter has been resolved to the satisfaction of the Chinese authorities" and the trio were allowed to leave Hangzhou, where they were detained a week ago, Mr Scott said.

He thanked Mr Trump, the White House and the State Department for their assistance in resolving the case.

Mr Trump said he personally asked Chinese President Xi Jinping to intervene on behalf of the three players during his two-day state visit to Beijing last week.

"What they did was unfortunate," Mr Trump said. "You know, you're talking about very long prison sentences. They (the Chinese authorities) do not play games."

Ball, Riley and Hill were arrested in Hangzhou ahead of a scheduled game against Georgia Tech in Shanghai.

According to ESPN, they were held on suspicion of stealing from a Louis Vuitton store and later freed on bail but ordered to remain in Hangzhou.

The UCLA and Georgia Tech squads were in Hangzhou for a side trip to the headquarters of Chinese e-commerce giant Alibaba.

Shoplifting can bring jail time in China depending on the value of the goods.

Meanwhile, Mr Trump left the Philippines without attending an annual East Asia Summit that he was scheduled to deliver a speech at.

Mr Trump missed the summit due to delays in the schedule of the programme of meetings.

Speaking to reporters on Air Force One, Mr Trump said he delivered his prepared remarks during a lunch with the leaders instead.

US Secretary of State Rex Tillerson is to attend the summit in Mr Trump’s place, a senior White House official said, adding the event was running too late.

Mr Tillerson is due to hold talks with Myanar's leader Aung San Suu Kyi in Manila.

The meetings in Manila were approximately 90 minutes behind schedule.