Yaroslava Antipina is Chief Strategy Officer at an IT company in Ukraine, but just over one week ago when she woke up to the sounds of explosions in Kyiv she said she "realised that everything has changed."

She heard the sound of air raid sirens carry through the early morning air of the city she has called home for ten years at 5am last Thursday.

"The funniest thing is that at first I thought it was a firework because we are in Kyiv, there are lot of different events happening and such kind of things, but at that moment I decided to look in my phone and the first thing I saw was the war has started," she said.

The picture outside her window showed people with their suitcases trying to get out of the city, she said children were running.

We need your consent to load this rte-player contentWe use rte-player to manage extra content that can set cookies on your device and collect data about your activity. Please review their details and accept them to load the content.Manage Preferences

Ms Antipina and her 19-year-old son stayed in Kyiv for a couple of days before making the decision to leave.

"Day after day, the situation was worse and worse as the war went on there were a lot of explosions near our home in different parts of the city. Sometimes we slept in the bomb shelters on the floor, it was really cold, it was a terrible experience."

Ms Antipina wanted to join her mother in Slavuta, which is west of Kyiv, but first had to cross a city under fire.

"It was a miracle from the start, we didn't know how to do it, because we don't have a car and it's quite impossible right now to get out of Kyiv without a car. There are a lot of evacuation trains, but you need to get to the railway station. It's the hard task."

She managed to get a lift for herself and her son with a friend who was driving.

"It's impossible right now to move across Ukraine, as there are no signs now. No city signs, no village signs. That was done by our army in order to not let our enemies know in which places they are."

Usually the journey to her mother's house would take three hours, but the journey on Tuesday took nearly eight hours.

Ms Antipina says reuniting with her mother "was the most emotional moment in my life and maybe in her life too."

"She was very relieved to see us because there were a lot of moments when I didn't know whether I would see her again. I'm happy to be here with her, I know that she's fine, and my son is fine."

Ms Antipina has been updating her followers on Twitter about her journey every step of the way since the war began in Ukraine, she rarely tweeted before this but is now letting people know how normal Ukrainians who remain in the country are coping during the war.

On Saturday she tweeted that "Every tweet can be the last. Cannot believe. Keep posting"

"Yeah, every minute might be the last one and I realised it and was ready for it. I couldn't change the situation, so I decided to leave every minute to do what I can."

Ms Antipina's sister and three children have fled from Ukraine, but her brother-in-law had to remain behind to fight.

"He's very determined, he's very brave. He's got a gun and he's ready to fight."

Her son is 19 years old and is studying at university. "At the moment the students are allowed to just to stay, and don’t have to fight. He definitely wants to, but I try to hold him as long as I can because he's just 19. He's so young."

When asked how she would feel if he had to fight, she replied: "I will go too. I'm not going to stay at home inside safe when my son will be out fighting. It's my decision."