Two brothers who detailed the sexual abuse they suffered while pupils of the Spiritian order have welcomed news that a scoping inquiry into allegations of sexual abuse at all religious schools has been announced.
Minister for Education Norma Foley brought proposals for a survivor-led scoping inquiry to the Cabinet this morning.
Speaking this afternoon in Co Tipperary where he now lives, David Ryan said he was very happy that the scoping inquiry had been announced and that it would be survivor led.
He said it was a very emotional day for him and his brother Mark, but he was hopeful that more survivors would now come forward for help.
"If I can do it anyone can do it. Pick up the phone to One in Four or the Rape Crisis Centre, they can help, they want to listen. I got that help and am still getting help," Mr Ryan said.
"The fact that it's survivor led is very important as any experts leading this must listen to their stories.
"The response to the Documentary on One has just been unbelievable, we never expected the reaction. So many people have come forward, and I believe there are still thousands more people, young and old and married, who have never spoken of it and have held it in for so long."
Mr Ryan said the relationship between himself and his brother has strengthened since the documentary was broadcast.
"We never knew about each other's abuse. We'd never been able to speak about it and now we can," he said.
"It's a great day. I'm very proud."
We need your consent to load this rte-player contentWe use rte-player to manage extra content that can set cookies on your device and collect data about your activity. Please review their details and accept them to load the content.Manage Preferences
Earlier Mark Ryan said he felt it was a positive development and that Minister Foley was sincere.
He said the minister had spoken to him and David on the phone on Friday and informed them of the imminent announcement.
Speaking to RTÉ's News at One earlier, Mr Ryan said: "I think it's important that my story is heard properly and it's recorded correctly.
"It's not just historic abuse, I am still going through recall. I am remembering more, there's hurt, there's pain, there's sadness. It's ongoing.
"It touches me every single day. I speak to more people. It's the same story with them. It's opened up wounds, but I do think that this inquiry will help these wounds heal."
He said that he believes that the Government is taking the issue "very seriously".
"I am delighted that this is happening. I think the minister and the Department of Education and others are taking this very seriously.
"They've spoken to lots of individuals up to this point and now they're taking an official scoping exercise from what I can see and that is very good, to get more people involved before an actual inquiry.
He added that the documentary has prompted more people to come forward and report the abuse.
"I think it was known in Irish society that there was abuse in schools, but not to the extent that has come out now and there's more to come out."