The Capuchin Day Centre manager Alan Bailey said they had been warned by the Government to expect more people presenting to them, after the announcement that offers of accommodation to single adults arriving in Ireland seeking protection had been paused.

The Capuchin Day Centre provides breakfast and lunch for anyone who needs it, often serving 200 people for breakfast and 600 for lunch at their site in Dublin's north inner city.

Mr Bailey said they have prepared to feed 100 extra people today after being advised by Government officials that more people may turn up at their door.

"Once we received the advice from the Government that there may be an influx, we've been getting ready. We were here this morning at 6am to get ready in case we had an influx from the group that arrived yesterday.

"As long as we have a bit of an advance notice, it's no problem for us to have everything ready."

Seven newly arrived international protection applicants were not offered any State-provided accommodation yesterday.

The figures were released by the Department of Children, Equality, Disability, Integration and Youth.

The Government paused accommodation offers to all adult asylum seekers who seek protection in Ireland and arrive without children

A spokesperson confirmed that so far all of those who have been left without accommodation are single men.

This morning's service at the centre included a takeaway breakfast as the canteen is taken up by volunteers packing hampers.

Mr Bailey said they give out over 1,000 hampers each Wednesday to whoever needs them. They are packed with food essentials like bread, milk, cheese and cooked chicken and ham.

Most of the people visiting this morning to avail of the breakfast were also taking a hamper away with them.

One group of students who were having the takeaway breakfast, said they were from South America and had arrived here over a week ago, to study English.

"We're seeing a lot of new people, and certainly we're seeing people that we've never seen in here before, but we'd like to think they can come here because they know we can provide necessities and they're comfortable here."

"We just don't know what numbers are going to come in but we hope and we feel we are ready for them. We sat down with the staff at 6am this morning, and worked out the logistics of a big influx today and we feel we're ready for it."

With an average of 310 international protection applicants arriving into Ireland each week, it is estimated that this could see hundreds of men and women rough sleeping in the coming weeks.

However, the International Protection Accommodation Service (IPAS) will continue to provide accommodation for asylum seeking families with children.

Additional reporting Laura Fletcher