Taoiseach Micheál Martin has said that the Irish and UK bid to host the 2030 FIFA World Cup is very exciting news.
Speaking as he arrived at the Cabinet meeting this morning, Mr Martin said the Government will "do everything we can to add value to that proposition".
He said the idea of Ireland being a location for major events is something successive governments have been pushing for.
Taoiseach Micheál Martin has said the Government will do whatever they can to 'add value' to a potential joint bid to host the 2030 FIFA World Cup in conjunction with the English, Scottish, Welsh and Northern Irish football associations | Read more: https://t.co/GQmlj9MNQs pic.twitter.com/xnniKBkADe— RTÉ News (@rtenews) March 2, 2021
The Taoiseach said he had spoken to British Prime Minister Boris Johnson about the proposed bid.
In a tweet he said: "It's early days - but all sides will cooperate closely on what would be a wonderful opportunity for these islands".
Spoke to British PM Boris Johnson this morning on the proposed joint bid to host the #WorldCup— Micheál Martin (@MichealMartinTD) March 2, 2021
It's early days - but all sides will cooperate closely on what would be a wonderful opportunity for these islands. https://t.co/7HZ9cIy5RQ
Earlier, Minister for Sport Jack Chambers said the Government "won't be found wanting" and has earmarked €6 million to examine the feasibility of a joint bid.
Speaking on RTÉ's Morning Ireland, he said the Government "will put its best foot forward" and begin work this year on the process, along with the Irish football associations and the British government.
He said "time is on our side to advance the detail behind the feasibility work".
Mr Chambers said the strength of the five nations and five football associations coming together to collaborate is very significant and Ireland has experience from its work on the bid for the 2023 Rugby World Cup.
We need your consent to load this rte-player contentWe use rte-player to manage extra content that can set cookies on your device and collect data about your activity. Please review their details and accept them to load the content.Manage Preferences
Minister Chambers said the Irish football associations and Government officials had been in talks with their UK counterparts for some time about the feasibility of making a bid.
He said work will now focus on how that could happen ahead of the FIFA submission process, which begins in 2022.
The partners involved in the process include the Irish Government, Irish Football Association and Football Association of Ireland, English Football Association, Scottish Football Association, Football Association of Wales and UK government, Scottish government, Welsh Assembly government, the Northern Ireland Executive and UK Sport.
Meanwhile People Before Profit TDs Richard Boyd-Barrett and Gino Kenny said the idea of Ireland co-hosting the 2030 FIFA World Cup should be explored because people need a bit of hope.
PBP said the idea of Ireland co-hosting the FIFA World Cup should be explored because people need a bit of hope. pic.twitter.com/4rAttszVFe— Mícheál Lehane (@MichealLehane) March 2, 2021
Labour Leader Alan Kelly also welcomed the Government's backing for a prospective bid describing it as a "a great idea."