Gardaí are investigating a potential breach of Covid-19 regulations during an anti-racism demonstration which took place in Dublin city centre yesterday afternoon.
Concerns had been raised about social distancing following the rally in which thousands of people marched from the GPO on O'Connell Street to the US Embassy in Ballsbridge in solidarity with the Black Lives Matter movement in the United States.
Under current restrictions, large gatherings are not allowed and social distancing should be maintained at all times.
In a statement released this evening, gardaí said that organisers had made attempts to put in place social distancing measures on O'Connell Street where the protest began.
However, the statement acknowledged that the turnout had substantially exceeded the organisers' expectations.
Gardaí said that inquiries are ongoing and the advice of the Director of Public Prosecutions will be sought in relation to any further actions to be taken.
Speaking at a briefing at the Department of Health this evening, the Chief Medical Officer said that in general terms the advice is that mass gatherings should not take place indoors or outdoors.
Dr Tony Holohan said for those contemplating organising or attending a mass gathering of any kind, "now is not the time". He said the public health advice has not changed.
In relation to yesterday's protest march, Dr Holohan said that attending such events "is a risk to life".
He said the matter is under investigation by gardaí and he is sure they will investigate it appropriately.
Dr Holohan said now is not the time to attend events that have the potential to become mass gatherings, adding that people should continue to be aware of Covid-19 symptoms and practice the correct hygiene etiquette.
Chief Medical Officer Dr Tony Holohan said it is too early for any mass gatherings to take place. He said he understands some of the motivations involved in events over the weekend but said the public health advice has not changed | Read more: https://t.co/GdznJMuNme pic.twitter.com/UG4paU4gcK— RTÉ News (@rtenews) June 2, 2020