The HSE has warned that it expects all out-patient, in-patient and day surgery to be cancelled ahead of Tuesday's planned 24-hour strike by the Irish Nurses and Midwives Organisation.
In an update on potential disruption caused by the second of six planned strikes, the HSE said it also expects Injury Units to be closed, and that routine community services and health centre nurse clinics to be cancelled.
Public day centres and day hospitals for older people or people with disabilities will also close.
In addition, all planned admissions, including respite and rehabilitation, to public community nursing units and specified centres for people with intellectual disability will be cancelled.
The HSE said it is continuing to engage with the INMO concerning contingency arrangements for the safe provision of services, particularly in the areas of urgent care and cancer services.
It stated that where procedures are going ahead, hospitals will make direct contact with patients to inform them.
Patients are advised only to attend emergency services if absolutely essential - and further updates on disrupted services will be issued through the HSE website www.hse.ie as well as through national and social media over the coming days.
The HSE said it remains available to engage in any efforts to avert the industrial action.
However, so far there is no sign of any breakthrough or intervention that might break the deadlock between nursing unions and health management.
We need your consent to load this rte-player contentWe use rte-player to manage extra content that can set cookies on your device and collect data about your activity. Please review their details and accept them to load the content.Manage Preferences
The union's executive will meet tomorrow to discuss setting dates for additional strikes over and above the five further stoppages scheduled over the next fortnight.
Speaking on RTÉ's Today with Sean O'Rourke, INMO General Secretary Phil Ní Sheaghdha confirmed that the executive will meet tomorrow to plan beyond the dates already scheduled.
Sources said they would also discuss the possibility of "deepening" the industrial action, including by reducing contingency co-operation and exemptions.
However, the sources stressed that the nurses and midwives would continue to deliver lifesaving care.
Hospital and community care services across the country were severely disrupted by the first 24-hour nurses strike in 20 years on Wednesday.
Nurses are due to strike on 5 and 7 February and on three days the following week, and Ms Ní Sheaghdha said the executive council feels it has to plan beyond those dates because there is very little movement on any type of negotiation towards a settlement from the Government.
She said the executive will consider very carefully what options are open to them in making any decisions on additional strike dates.