A 16-year-old boy who raped a teenage girl in a field near a holiday resort in Co Wexford two years ago has been sentenced to five years detention.

His 19-year-old brother, who was 17 at the time and also raped the girl, was sentenced to six years in prison.

Mr Justice Paul McDermott said the victim was preyed upon during the "terrifying and violent" incident.

The victim, who was 17 at the time, was on holidays in Co Wexford in July 2019 and had been drinking with two other girls, one of whom told the gardaí "they were not in a good way" when the brothers approached them.

The victim said she did not know what she was doing when the then 14-year-old boy invited her to "go for a chat".

He attacked and violently raped her several times, then told her she had to have sex with his brother. He then also raped the girl.

The attacks took place in a field near a holiday resort in Co Wexford.

An extensive garda investigation involving door-to-door inquiries and the voluntary taking of DNA samples led to the two boys being identified and arrested.

They initially told gardaí they were not at the scene on the night and claimed the sexual acts were consensual.

Last May they admitted what they had done and pleaded guilty to the charges.

The victim, who is now also 19, said the attacks have left her suffering from post traumatic stress disorder, she dropped out of school and developed anorexia.

"I am petrified of 99% of men," she said, even including her father and brother.

Neither of the convicted rapists can be identified, the 16-year-old because he is a child in law and the 19-year-old because to do so would identify his brother.

Mr Justice McDermott said that the victim was preyed on and that the experience continues to have a pervasive effect on her life.

The brothers knew the girl was in a distressed and vulnerable state and he said the younger boy was "clearly out of control" at the time and for the three years leading up to the rapes.

He sentenced him to five years detention, and his older brother to seven and a half years with the final eighteen months suspended.